If you're a BigCommerce client and vigilant about tracking your consumers' behavior, you've likely noticed an increase in mobile traffic to your store. This phenomenon is well-documented, with multiple studies over the past three years revealing very telling stats, including:
- Desktop visits to eCommerce sites have dropped 17% over the past three years.
- Tablet visits dropped 30% in the same time period.
- Smartphone traffic to eCommerce sites has jumped 89% since early 2015.
- 66% of mobile purchases now happen through an app.
In the wake of these explosive new trends, you may assume that consumers divide their time between mobile web and mobile apps. However, industry research also shows that this is not true. Mobile websites have been abandoned in favor of apps, due to the inherent clunkiness of mobile web's menus, ads, and checkout processes. Apps are here to stay, and they're quickly becoming the primary revenue channel for eCommerce.
We’ve compiled a few mobile FAQs below to explain why mobile is taking over retail—and why it will tremendously benefit BigCommerce retailers.
Why are apps the latest craze for consumers?
The answer is obvious: convenience. Well-designed apps are built around three pillars of convenience for consumers:
- Intuitive design that shortens the amount of pages, taps, and other roadblocks to sales conversions.
- Push notifications that don't require shoppers to open spam-ish emails or actively search for deals, promotions, coupon codes, and other opportunities to make savvy purchases.
- An easy checkout process that doesn't require repetitive data entry for personal information, shipping information, or credit card numbers.
Why are retailers flocking to apps?
Other than the lucrative revenue and increased traffic? Apps offer totally unique insight into your customers. With the power of customer registration, customers' social media, and analytics tools, you’re able to glean demographic information to inform your product and plan your promotions. You’re also able to automatically generate promotions based on customer behavior such as cart abandonment and more. Not to mention that these promotions are mobilized (no pun intended) by the app's silver bullet for lapsed sales: push notifications. Think of this feature as instant communication with your customers—a totally new (and demonstrably effective) retail capability.
Can an app actually help my specific brand, though?
Yup! Our client showcase should be convincing enough—from auto parts retailers to fashion mavens to artists selling merchandise, we cover an array of verticals, and have the numbers to prove client success in mobile. Whether you sell skincare products, outdoor supplies, or lingerie, there's never a store that's too "niche" for a mobile app. Consumers crave mobile, no matter what they need or want to purchase.
Where can I learn more?
We’re glad you asked! Our free guide will tell you everything you need to know, including:
- Why is Shopgate a select mobile partner of BigCommerce?
- How do I integrate my BigCommerce store into a Shopgate app? (Believe it or not, it's super easy.)
- What are some real-life stories of BigCommerce success on the Shopgate platform?
Download our free guide,
Autor: Sarah Meadows
Sarah manages content for the marketing department of Shopgate. Her previous experience includes creating content and handling public relations for public offices and organizations at her alma mater, the University of South Carolina. Sarah’s hobbies include following college football and looking for a good glass of sweet tea in Austin.